If you’re thinking about doing your makeup on your big day, don’t think twice. While the idea can be intimidating as you would want to be picture-perfect on that important event of your life, the diy approach has benefits you cannot ignore.
Aside from being cheaper, you also have an edge over most makeup artists since you know your features better than they do. Following are 19 smart tips from pro makeup artists Martin Maulawizada, Joanna Schlip and Colleen O’Neill that help you ensure that you look your best when you walk down the aisle and afterwards.
1. Shopping for all new makeup isn’t necessary. Stick to products that have worked well with your skin type and tone. Your wedding day is not the time to experiment.
2. Practice makes perfect. Do makeup trials months and again a week before your wedding. Do it at the same time of the event and make sure you take photos each time under different types of lighting.
3. Make use of products that are designed to last. Ensure your makeup is in place despite tears, sweat, etc, through the use of products that are labelled “long-wear,” “long-lasting,” and waterproof.
4. Skip products that make you look too light for your body such as the ones tagged as high-definition, anti-aging or those with SPF.
5. Give yourself ample time to do your wedding makeup.
6. The trick to hide your wrinkles is to apply oil-free moisturizer on your face and a thicker cream around your eyes.
7. In order to keep your foundation in place, apply a makeup primer on your face evenly. Make use of silicone-free products like Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer.
8. An eye-shadow primer is a good idea too, to help keep your eye shadow intact. Check out Urban Decay Primer Potion to prevent your eye shadow from slipping off.
9. The trick to a soft, non-cakey finish is using a damp sponge like Beauty Blender when applying foundation.
10. Make sure you blend the foundation of your face to your neck and chests.
11. Reach for a concealer that matches the colour of your skin and set it with a yellowish powder like the one you would find in the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit.
12. Take your everyday eye shadow to the next level but don’t overdo it. If you’ve been wearing nude shadows, consider shimmery nude shadow on your big day.
13. Aim to have most makeup natural but consider using individual false lashes to highlight your eyes. Try Ardell Individual Lashes along with black glue like DUO Eyelash Adhesives and mask the glue with a black liner.
14. Be extra careful with contouring. Use powder palette for a more natural appearance.
15. Use shimmery cream highlighter to achieve a perfect wedding glow. Apply one like the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector using a fan brush.
16. Avoid a shiny face by applying translucent powder on your T-zone. Tap sheer matte powder like MAC Julia Petit Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Power lightly on your face using a fluffy brush.
17. Do away with a super-glossy lip product. Make use of a lip stain or liner instead before applying your lipstick.
18. Your wedding makeup should include not only your face but your chest, shoulders and arms as well to attain Victoria’s Secret model glow. You can use tinted body shimmer lotion such as Red Carpet Kolour.
19. Keep your makeup in place by finishing with a setting spray such as the Japonesque Color Makeup Setting Spray.